Monday, January 7, 2008

In 'Roids We Trust




Having just read Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits, and How Baseball Got Big by the King of the Needles, I am still a little undecided in one of the most intriguing and heated stories baseball has seen in recent years. As all sports fan know, Roger Clemens was recently accused by his former trainer, Brian McNamee of being injected with Winstrol, a performance-enhancing drug. While Roger's stats were phenomenal between 1998 and 2004 (age 35-41), I am still awaiting concrete evidence from Mr. McNamee and for Roger to do a lie detector test to make me take his side. But the reality is Roger got bigger. Roger isn't impressing the media or fans with the handling of the situation. Roger is arrogant. Roger is in the fight of his life.

Don't get me wrong, I am against steroids and all performance enhancing drugs in baseball, but this is a classic case of "He Said , He Said" and its driving me nuts. Many of us are awaiting for Clemens to go under oath in a few weeks and testify before Congress. We all know from his lame internet video, 60 minutes interview and press conference he denies everything that he was accused of doing. But what more can you do when Roger says he didn't and McNamee said he did. It's a vicious circle. For all of those media hogs out there that attack Clemens personally and are itching for him to "tell the truth" (even though know one knows the truth), you are wasting your time. The truth is, this case is not going anywhere. Roger won't take the extreme measures to clear his name and McNamee isn't going to cave either.

"Do you think I played my career because I'm worried about the damn Hall of Fame? You keep your vote. I don't need the Hall of Fame to justify that I put my butt on the line and I worked my tail off, and I defy anybody to say I did it by cheating or taking any shortcuts, OK?"

Well Roger you do need the Hall. Because if you can't get out of this mess, no one is going to remember you for anything but steroids. No one will care about your 20-3 season with 213 K's in 2000. So in the words of the Big Cuban flake, Jose Canseco,

"I'll take a lie detector test on the subject in a minute, and I'll pass with a perfect score. To you media types out there who want me, I say: Bring it on. Take your best shot."

We're waiting on you Roger. Prove me and all the other non-believers wrong. Where is your intensity? Where is your passion? If you worked so hard in your baseball career, why don't you work harder to clear your name. Saying no isn't going to cut it today. Holding press conferences isn't going to do it either. If one day McNamee admits he lied. I'm sorry, Roger. Only time will tell though, Mr. Clemens. If your not in the Hall, what are you in the eyes of all sports fans? A cheater. End of story.

wileyman

image copyright of bostondirthogs.com





No comments: