Wednesday, March 11, 2009













Siyanara, Scottie!
One week ago from today, Scottie Upshall was traded from the Flyers to the Coyotes for Daniel Carcillo. Upshall, who wasn't living up to the "hype" for the Black and Orange, cleared up salary cap space. In return, we received a "tough guy" who leads the NHL in penalty minutes, yet one of the current concerns is to stay out of the box. Many blogs across Philadelphia have expressed uncertainty and confusion with this trade. I myself, have mixed feelings. Even though I don't see the logistics of this trade on the ice, I am glad that someone is happy to be in Philly. When traded to Philadelphia, Carcillo was quoted saying:

"They were my favorite team growing up, it's kind of a dream come true to put on the uniform."

Upshall, on the other hand, was disappointed, but optimistic about his trade. Despite being traded away from a Stanley Cup hopeful, Upshall will also miss the night life in Philadelphia. (Couldn't you tell by his teary eyes in the Comcast interview?) It is widely speculated that Scottie was considered the "Pat Burrell" of the Flyers - being spotted around town during the late hours of the weekend. He also was quite the ladies man. Slump Busters were able to speak to one NHL source who shared that Scottie and best friend Jordin TooToo (of the Nashville Predators) "could be filled with STD's" - while I am sure it is an exaggeration, it wouldn't surprise me. What I would do to be a pro athlete. Good luck, Scottie. Make sure you stop in Southern CA for a lil' action. 

No comments: